As living costs continue to rise, you may be worrying about staying in control of your money and finances. Here’s how we can help.
If you're finding it difficult to make your vehicle finance payments now, or concerned about making them in the future, we’re here to support you. The sooner you let us know, the quicker we can help get you back on track.
Please call us on 0800 151 2454 so we can talk through your options together. We’re here from 8.30am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm Saturdays. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobile phones. For textphone, use Relay UK for free by dialling 18001 then 0800 151 2454.
It would be helpful if you could complete our online income and spending form first. The more detail we know about your financial situation, the better equipped we’ll be.
Ways we can help
How we can help depends on your situation and the stage you’re at in your agreement. If we don’t have the right options available to help you with your payments, we can tell you about other charities and organisations who will be able to support you in other ways. You can find more information about free, independent help and advice below.
We’d really like to talk to you so that we understand the best way to help and support you. When we speak, we can look at your financial situation and any solutions available based on what you can afford.
We may be able to agree a repayment plan to help you to keep the vehicle. The help we can offer depends on your situation and what stage you’re at in your agreement. We’d need to assess your financial commitments to make sure any payment plan is affordable to you.
You can set up a Direct Debit if you don’t already have one. You can do this online by logging in or creating an account, then go to the payments page and click Manage my Direct Debit.
Sometimes it can be difficult if your salary date doesn’t match your loan payment date. If you haven’t already changed this, you may be able to do this online by logging in or creating an account then go to the payments page and click Manage my Direct Debit. You may need to pay an extra amount to cover the interest we’ll charge you for between your old and new payment date. We’ll add this to your agreement. If you’d like this explained in more detail, please visit Make a payment FAQs | Black Horse
If you’d rather see if we can change this for you, or you’ve already changed your payment date, you can still contact us to discuss other options.
If you get paid weekly, you could set up a standing order with your bank to make payments more manageable:
- Payee Name: Blackhorse Ltd
- Sort code: 30-15-99
- Account number: 00024553
You’ll need to make sure that your weekly payments cover the full payment amount you’ve agreed to pay us. It must also reach us by your monthly due date.
Our online tool may be a useful way to help you understand your income and outgoings. Why not have a go at completing the online form first, so you’re able to tell us about your income and spending. It’s likely to save you more time when you call and help us to find the best support for you.
Log in or create an account, go to the ‘Help centre’ and then ‘Money worries’.
If you don’t want to use the online form and would prefer to call us, then it will help if you can make sure you’ve got the following to hand:
- Your agreement number or registration number for your vehicle
- How much money you have coming in each month
- How much money you spend each month
- What you pay to others
- A pen and paper to jot things down
When you’re ready, please call us for free on 0800 151 2454. Tell us you’re calling about 'financial assistance', so we can talk through your options together. If you have completed the form, let us know so we can discuss this with you.
We’re here from 8.30am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm Saturdays. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobile phones. For textphone, use Relay UK for free by dialling 18001 then 0800 151 2454.
If you do, you could think about part exchanging your current vehicle for one that is more affordable. This would mean you’d need a new finance agreement that would be subject to credit and affordability checks.
Your dealer can help you choose a new vehicle and settle your current agreement directly with us. If they’re paying us directly, please ask them to let you know when they’ve done this. Remember, you’re responsible for the vehicle until you’ve paid the total amount.
It's important to understand that we need to be paid the full balance immediately. You can get a settlement amount (see the amount you would need to pay) in a few ways:
- Log in or create an account and select ‘Get a settlement amount’ and we’ll email you details of the settlement amount. You can also choose to have a copy sent direct to someone else, such as a motor dealer.
- Call us on 0344 824 8888 and use our automated system to get the amount or choose to speak with an advisor.
You also have the option to hand the vehicle back and end your agreement early. Please call us on 0800 151 2454. We’ll be happy to discuss this with you and confirm any outstanding amounts you’d need to pay to do this.
It’s important to understand that we must tell the credit reference agencies if your account goes into arrears. This may make it difficult for you to get credit in the future.
Do you need independent help and advice?
There are many organisations that can help you with your money worries including free debt advice services. Most 0800 phone numbers are free to call from UK landlines and mobiles. See below for more details of what they can help with and how to get in touch.
Free independent help and advice:
Guidance from MoneyHelper
- Government-backed with guidance on benefits, tax, pensions, homes and savings
- Money calculators, helpful articles and regular updates
- Support available online, over the phone or face-to-face
Call 0800 138 7777 for money guidance. Lines open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.
StepChange Debt Charity
- Free, impartial advice to get your finances back on track
- A wide range of practical debt solutions
- Support online 24/7 or by phone
Call 0800 138 1111. Lines open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 8am to 4pm.
Help from Citizens Advice
- Free advice on a range of topics, including benefits, debt, housing and consumer rights
- Help with managing your money
- Practical and impartial support online, in person or over the phone
Mental Health and Money Advice
- Clear, practical advice and support for people experiencing mental health and money worries
- Specialist knowledge of benefits, managing money and mental health care
- Award-winning UK-wide online advice service
Free debt advice and support
- Free, confidential debt advice
- A personalised action plan for your money
- Help available online or by phone
Call 0800 280 2816. Lines open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 3pm.
- Free, confidential debt advice
- Guides, fact sheets, budgeting tools and sample letters
- Advice via phone and online
Call 0808 808 4000. Lines open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm, and Saturday 9.30am to 1pm.