Leisure sector support:
industry advice on key hot topics
22nd October 2020 | 3 minute read
The staycation boom has given a welcome boost to the leisure sector in the wake of lockdown. As more holidaymakers swap flights and ferries for caravans and motorhomes, the new challenge for dealerships is keeping up with demand while keeping staff and customers safe. Fortunately, government and industry bodies are working hard to share useful advice on safety and other COVID-19 related issues.
To help you access the advice and support you need, here are links to helpful resources based around four key topics affecting the leisure sector.
1. Holiday, Touring and Campsite safety
Keeping up to date with the evolving situation in the tourism sector has never been more important. Especially if you’re one of the many firms who combine sales areas with holiday venues.
The British Holiday and Home Parks Association (BHHPA) offers extensive COVID-19 health and safety guidance relating to holiday, touring park and campsite operations. Templates and articles cover a wide range of subjects:
- Cleaning and disinfection of parks – clear advice on the appropriate measures to take across all surfaces, as well as how to deal with waste and contamination.
- Health and wellbeing of staff – detailed advice including links to mind.org.uk and anxiety.org.uk.
- Risk assessments – templates to help you undertake risk assessments for the safe reopening and operation of sales areas, caravan parks, dining areas and bars.
- Dealing with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 – guidance covering procedures to follow, and support provided by the Health Protection Team.
2. Visit Britain business support
With a wide range of government financial support available, it’s worth checking your eligibility. Visit Britain has a comprehensive business support hub providing the latest UK tourism-related information and advice.
- Updates on local lockdowns – including grants available for businesses affected.
- Guidance for accommodation providers – the new rule of six.
- Webinars and resources – links to government webinars and resources to help businesses understand the guidance and support available.
- ‘We’re Good to Go’ – new industry standard consumer mark to reassure your customers that your business complies with Government and Public Health Guidance.
If you haven’t already, we recommend signing up to their industry e-news to receive their COVID-19 bulletins.
3. NCC leisure hubs
The NCC offers two great sources of guidance and advice for leisure dealers:
- Holiday parks hub provides COVID-19-related guidance for parks around employment, financial support, operating safely, communicating with owners and mental health and wellbeing. The hub also features the latest relevant news, plus information about NCC’s campaigns and political engagement to support the industry in challenging times.
- Leisure vehicle hub provides all the pandemic-related advice you need for leisure vehicles in one place, including communicating with customers, accessing financial support, employment guidance, relevant trending news and political engagement.
4. Finance-related issues
With the financial impacts of COVID-19 still developing, and many customers buying on finance, it’s helpful to get an expert perspective.
The Finance and Leasing Association (FLA) offers a wealth of advice, some of which is relevant to dealers, including:
- Intergenerational differences in financial impact – a summary of Financial Conduct Authority research highlighting the impact of the pandemic on young earners.
- Finance forbearance best practice – covering clear communication, information on the status of debts, referral to debt advice firms, forbearance options, assessing and confirming the affordability of payment plans.
Given the constantly evolving situation, staying up to date with the latest developments affecting the sector is vital to the ongoing success of parks and dealerships. These reliable, regularly updated resources will help make sure you have the most current information to keep you, your staff and your customers safe - and your business thriving.
We hope you found this article useful. If you have any questions or concerns that are not covered here or would like any additional support, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your Account Manager.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Dealer Conversations: Mark Bebb, Joint MD, Salop Leisure Ltd
22nd October 2020 - 4 minute read
Mark Bebb of Salop Leisure discusses surging sales, dwindling stocks and the boom in staycations.